Home » » "Of Course Not. You're A Boy"

"Of Course Not. You're A Boy"



I read over at Ben's site that they are thinking of doing a sequel to the 'Dark Crystal'. I commented there that I hated the idea because some things are so perfect already that a sequel would just leach magic off the original.

I loved that film and after seeing it again on the satellite a few weeks ago I was impressed at how well it stood up. It's still damn scary but thrilling at the same time. Too few childhood films can live up to the memory you have of them. That one is an exception.


I still have a crush on the female Gelfling and the scene above is my favorite. I love the way Kira is so 'matter of fact' with her line like Jen is stupid for not knowing that only girls have wings in their race.

They are planning to do a sequel to 'How To Train Your Dragon' too and I feel the same way about that movie. It was the best thing I have seen this year and I feel it is as close to perfect as a movie gets. I wish the filmmakers could just learn from all the things that film got right and put their time and energies into something fresh and new.

We are on our fourth 'Shrek' movie and the joy has gone totally out of that franchise. A fat Puss-n-Boots? That is just lazy writing. Shrek is still not happy with his lot in life so we will see a 'It's A Wonderful Life' storyline. (UGH!) Another theme done to death.

Everyone involved in the movie making industry are talented people (except for the corporate 'suits' that fund everything). I just wish they didn't feel the need to look at the bottom line EVERY time. Where is the innovative and daring pictures that don't rely on the first weekend's box office numbers?

I know that it's exactly those 'tent pole' films that finance the little 'gems' that pop up a few times a year but I get so tired of the same shitty stories 90% of the time.

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/dark-crystal-gets-a-sequel-28-years-too-late.phphttp://

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.